In 1439, the Bishop of Exeter granted permission for the building of a stone quay in the ‘Towan Blystra’. This ‘new quay’ was built and became the origin of the town’s name change to the Newquay we know today. The harbour is a great place to visit whilst staying in Newquay.
The harbour was used for the export of china clay, iron ore and grain, and the import of coal, manure, salt and limestone. The harbour had railway tracks leading down to it via tunnels and routes across the town. To increase the amount of space available for loading schooners, in 1870 the central jetty was built. This was linked to the south quay by a wooden trestle bridge that carried a railway line.
To the north of the harbour there are areas where fish cellars existed in the 19th century. The two remaining areas are Fly cellars and Active cellars. This is the area where fish were salted to preserve them for market. Today the dog-friendly harbour has a small fleet of commercial fishing vessels, landing mainly crabs and lobsters. In addition to this, there is a fleet of tripping boats offering fishing and pleasure trips. Watersports tuition and equipment hire are also available.
The RNLI lifeboat station is a great place to visit and view the two lifeboats in the boathouse. Newquay Rowing club has a full program of pilot gig rowing events and these can be great fun to watch on summer evenings.
The harbour is also home to ‘Sammy’ the seal who follows the fishing boats as they return with their catch.